Monday, May 16, 2011

The Birthday Post

Today my dad didn't turn 68. It's a good day for me to pick the blog back up after more than a month of silence. I never intended to leave the blog dark for so many weeks, but I was rendered more or less speechless by the double whammy experience of my first trip back to my hometown since losing my dad, and his unveiling - the first time I stood at his grave and saw the words on the stone. These are events I need to hash out with myself before dealing with them here. But, gentle (and few) readers, there is a lot to say about both in future posts.

My father had his own father well into middle age, and one thing I learned from my dad was how to be a son. He was always so proud of my grandpa's career as a musician, and so connected to his dad through their shared appreciation for the era of my grandpa's prime. As he was an avid collector of radios, sheet music, and records, my dad maintained a collection of music and memorabilia from Tommy Tucker and His Orchestra, which was the band where my grandpa started his career. Consequently, my childhood was steeped in my dad's devotion to the big band era, and though I resisted it, called it dorky and boring, and basically reacted the way most kids do, I am glad now that there are sights and sounds in this world that give me a feeling of closeness to both my dad and his.

In looking around for just the right song to share for my dad's birthday, I was pleased to find that my grandpa gets a mention on the Wikipedia page for Tommy Tucker and His Orchestra. Check the Career Highlights and Associated Talent section. The name you are looking for is Mac Becker. I wonder if my dad even knew it was there.

Here is what I think of as the signature song from Tommy Tucker. It was a huge hit for the band in 1941. My dad loved it, and his dad played sax on it. Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you. But how amazing that you have these recordings with your grandfather's music. Another thing we have in common-- my grandfather was a pianist in several big bands. My mother had an amazing voice and used to sing professionally. It was a connection for them, and for us, and so I understand where you're coming from here.

    ReplyDelete